Cumberland Falls State Park
Cumberland Falls State Park is among many scenic areas in the state that drew tourists from across Kentucky and the nation. The state of Kentucky purchased Cumberland Falls Park in 1930 and began work to establish it as a natural tourist attraction. U.S. 25 was improved and completed from Corbin south to the Falls in 1931. These road improvements had the effect of luring over 50,000 people to the park in the first three months of modern highway access. Many of the buildings on site were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal work program. A two-story log rustic lodge, 15 tourist cabins, roads and trails through the park, and picnic areas were all completed between 1933 and 1938. The original lodge burned in 1940 and was replaced by a two-story sandstone structure. Most of the park’s buildings were renovated in the late 1960s and again in the 1990s.