House-like Gas Stations
This Shell Gasoline Station
, built circa 1929, was part of an elaborate tourist complex created by Scott County entrepreneur Tom Fisher. Located on U.S. 25 (Dixie Highway) in northern Scott County, the site contained a gas station, a restaurant, a lake and a waterfall, tourist cabins, campgrounds, and several picnic areas. This Shell gas station is an example of the small house
-like stations that were popular in the 1920s and 1930s. Unlike the earlier shed type filling stations, the house-type gas stations were designed to accommodate an attendant, auto accessories, and a space for men’s and women’s restrooms. While not all of these stations were constructed of stone, most filling stations borrowed their design vocabulary from small English cottages. Fisher’s gas station has end chimneys, a small porch, casement windows, and a stone shell-symbol above the entrance to the station. Gas pumps were located in an unprotected area directly in front of the building.