Frank Redford developed the first Wigwam Village on route 31E (now demolished) in 1933-36, inspired by a tepee-shaped lunch stand he had seen in California. He expanded his business with Wigwam Village No. 2 in 1937, which includes 18 concrete “wigwams” (which actually mimic tepees). Redford licensed the Wigwam Village concept to other developers, and opened another village himself in California in 1947. Others were built in Florida, New Orleans, Arizona, and Birmingham. The Arizona and California Villages are the only other Wigwam Villages still standing. Wigwam Village No. 2 remains in business today.