Kentucky Heritage Council - (Banner Imagery) - click to go to homepage.

Kentucky Heritage Council
Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board will meet Friday to consider five National Register nominations

Press Release Date:  Thursday, December 09, 2010  
Contact Information:  Diane Comer
(502) 564-7005 Ext. 120
diane.comer@ky.gov
 


FRANKFORT, Ky. – The Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board will consider nominations of five sites for listing in the National Register of Historic Places at 10 a.m. EST Friday, Dec. 10 at Paul Sawyier Public Library, 319 Wapping Street, Frankfort.  These are McBride’s Harrods Creek Landing, the Miller Paper Company Buildings and Most Blessed Sacrament School in Jefferson County; the J. Hawkins Hart House in Henderson; and Jenkins School in Letcher County.
 
The review board is charged with evaluating eligibility criteria for National Register nominations from Kentucky prior to their submission to the National Park Service (NPS), which administers the program in partnership with state historic preservation offices, including the Kentucky Heritage Council (KHC).  An agency of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the NPS must issue a final determination of listing within 45 days of receiving the nomination from KHC.
 
A description of each nomination to be considered follows.  Complete nominations and photos may also be accessed at the KHC website,
www.heritage.ky.gov/natreg/

The National Register is the nation’s official list of historic and archaeological resources deemed worthy of preservation.  Kentucky has the fourth highest number of listings in the nation – following New York, Massachusetts and Ohio – with more than 3,200 districts, sites and structures encompassing more than 42,000 historic features.  Listing can be applied to buildings, objects, structures, districts and archaeological sites, and proposed sites must be significant in architecture, engineering, American history or culture, or possess a special role in the development of our country. 
 
National Register status does not affect property ownership rights but does provide a measure of protection against adverse impacts from federally funded projects.  Owners of National Register properties may qualify for federal or state tax credits for certified rehabilitation of these properties or by making a charitable contribution of a preservation easement.
 
For more information, call the Heritage Council at 502-564-7005, ext. 120, or visit
www.heritage.ky.gov.

National Register nominations to be considered at the December 10 Review Board meeting:
 
Henderson County
J. Hawkins Hart House
, 630 Center Street, Henderson – Resting on a brick foundation, the Hart House is a wood frame, 2½-story building constructed in 1892, which is listed as its period of significance, and it is being nominated to the National Register under Criterion C, architectural significance.  Strong evidence suggests the house was designed by mail order architect George F. Barber, whose designs helped disseminate the Queen Anne style throughout the United States in the late 19th century.  The author of the nomination notes the house exhibits numerous hallmarks of Barber design, and describes it as “an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture in Henderson… The house’s scale, ornamentation and location give important cues to post-Civil War socioeconomic development in Henderson.”
 
Jefferson County
McBride’s Harrods Creek Landing
, 5913 River Road, Metro Louisville – This site encompasses 30 acres of land along the Ohio River and a series of maritime resources as well as the Leo Birch McBride House, circa 1933, and the George W. McBride House and barn, circa 1950-1954.  The landing is strategically near the mouth of Harrods Creek and above the McAlpine Lock and Dam, a location with a still pool and stable water levels.  It was established in 1933 by Leo McBride as McBride Boat Works and continued by his son, George, who formed McBride Towing in 1955.  The family comprises four generations of river pilots, and towboat and barge owners and operators who played a significant role in the development and growth of inland waterway commerce in Jefferson County between 1933 and 1960.  The site is being nominated under Criterion A, property associated with events that have made a significant contribution to broad patterns of history.
 
Miller Paper Company Buildings, 118-122 East Main Street, Louisville – These adjoining structures are located along a stretch of Main Street known as Whiskey Row, which at one time housed dozens of wholesale liquor and whiskey-related businesses. The main facades of the buildings are limestone and marble and exhibit a High Deco style.  The buildings are being interpreted as having primary identity and significance dating to the 1940s, when a major renovation project was undertaken, and are being nominated under Criterion C, significant within the context “Art Deco and Moderne Architecture in Louisville,” as the buildings embody the distinctive characteristics of both of these style trends.  The Miller Paper Company operated a wholesale business in this location from 1923 through 1955.
 
Most Blessed Sacrament School, 1128 Berry Boulevard, Louisville – Located in the Oakdale neighborhood, this two-story brick building was completed in 1938 and designed by Louisville architect Walter Wagner.  The main façade features a central entrance bay with inset paired wooden doors, and a five-bay symmetrical façade is topped by a limestone nameplate and cross.  According to the author of the nomination, “the building is decorated with a nod toward Collegiate Gothic, with its corbelled cornice at the roofline, limestone pilasters, and limestone belt-course.”  A 1952 addition was constructed as a residence for nuns who served as teachers.  The school is being interpreted for its role in Louisville’s social history and is being nominated under Criterion A within the context “Catholic Schools in Louisville, 1919-1960,” with its period of significance dating from 1938 through 1960.
 
Letcher County
Jenkins School
, 75 Pane Street, Jenkins – This 2½-story masonry building opened in 1912 and is located along Main Street in the Letcher County community of Jenkins.  The school consists of the original 1912 building, a 1924 addition with four classrooms and gymnasium, and a 1936 addition with additional classrooms and funded by WPA.  Both additions maintain the school’s original Colonial Revival style.  According to the nomination, the school is historically significant “for its status as the largest and finest school to be produced as part of the efforts by Consolidated Coal Company to develop Jenkins, a coal camp, in the coal rich mountains of eastern Kentucky… Jenkins was considered one of the crown jewels of coal towns – Consolidation Coal Company would bring politicians and visitors from all around the United States and abroad to see their accomplishments in this Letcher County settlement.”  The school is being nominated under Criterion A with a period of significance from 1911 to 1949.

# # #

An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Heritage Council / State Historic Preservation Office is responsible for the identification, protection and preservation of prehistoric resources and historic buildings, sites and cultural resources throughout the Commonwealth, in partnership with other state and federal agencies, local communities and interested citizens.  This mission is integral to making communities more livable and has a far-ranging impact on issues as diverse as economic development, jobs creation, affordable housing, tourism, community revitalization, environmental conservation and quality of life.  www.heritage.ky.gov



 

Last Updated 12/9/2010