Kentucky Heritage Council
KY Historic Preservation Review Board to consider nine National Register nominations Tuesday
FRANKFORT, Ky. – The Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board will consider nominations of nine sites for listing in the National Register of Historic Places during its next meeting at 10 a.m. (EDT) Tuesday, May 11 at the Washington County Extension Office, 211 Progress Avenue, Springfield.
The board is charged with evaluating eligibility criteria for National Register nominations from Kentucky prior to their submission to the National Park Service (NPS), which administers the program in partnership with state historic preservation offices, including the Kentucky Heritage Council. An agency of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the NPS must issue a final determination of listing within 45 days of receiving the nomination.
Nominations to be considered include the Nesbitt House in Bath County, the Hal Price Headley Sr. House in Fayette County, St. Bartholomew Parish School and the William Dodd House in Jefferson County, West Liberty Christian Church in Morgan County, the Coombs-Duncan-Brown Farmhouse in Nelson County, the Standard Oil Company Filling Station in Warren County, and Maple Grove and Kalarama Saddlebred Horse Farm in Washington County. [A description of each nomination to be considered follows.]
The National Register is the nation’s official list of historic and archaeological resources deemed worthy of preservation. Kentucky has the fourth highest number of listings in the nation – more than 3,200 districts, sites and structures encompassing more than 42,000 historic features. Listing can be applied to buildings, objects, structures, districts and archaeological sites, and proposed sites must be significant in architecture, engineering, American history or culture, or possess a special role in the development of our country.
National Register status does not affect property ownership rights but does provide a measure of protection against adverse impacts from federally funded projects. Owners of National Register properties may qualify for federal or state tax credits for certified rehabilitation of these properties or by making a charitable contribution of a preservation easement.
For more information, call the Heritage Council at 502-564-7005, ext. 120, or visit www.heritage.ky.gov.
Nominations to the National Register of Historic Places to be considered at the May 11 Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board meeting are:
Nesbitt House, 233 West Main Street, Owingsville – Located a block from the Bath County Courthouse Square, the Nesbitt House was constructed between 1876-78 and is a high-style Italianate dwelling with turn-of-the-century modifications. According to the nomination, the significance of the house is evaluated within two local contexts, the first being the “Architectural Styles in Bath County, Kentucky, 1850-1930” and, with 1890s additions and later 20th-century interior alterations, within the context “Late Victorian, Neoclassical and Colonial Revival Styles in Bath County, Kentucky, 1890-1930.” The nomination notes that the house “…shows the translation of Italianate style into a house plan typically perceived as an urban plan, the side-passage. This house plan provided greater privacy and separation of space than the more-commonly built central passage plan. The side-passage plan was favored by the elite of Bath County, both in Owingsville and outside the city limits, throughout the 19th century.”
Hal Price Headley Sr. House, 1236 Standish Way, Lexington – Dating to 1957, the Headley House sits upon land that was formerly the Beaconsfield Stud Farm and was constructed in the heart of The Colony, a mid-20th century residential neighborhood developed when the stud farm was sold and subdivided in the late 1940s. The home is a 1½ -story dwelling styled in French Provincial Revival architecture with a steep hip roof and a central recessed entry. The interior also shows French revival style with oak floors, finely detailed woodwork and extensive built-ins. Contributing features include the main house, pool house, fencing and pool. The home was built by prominent horseman Hal Price Headley Sr. and is the only known example of the work of the prominent architectural firm Polhemus and Coffin in Kentucky. Its architectural significance is proposed within the context of “French Provincial Revival and Colonial Revival designs of Polhemus and Coffin, 1925-1965.”
St. Bartholomew Parish School, 2036 Buechel Bank Road, Louisville – St. Bartholomew Parish School is a three-story brick school building located in southeastern Jefferson County, constructed in 1942 with influences from the Moderne Style. The building’s primary façade faces Buechel Bank Road located just south of Bardstown Road and the Buechel Bypass. According to the nomination, “St. Bartholomew is a simple building void of excessive ornamentation, which speaks to the economic realities of the post-depression/pre-World War II era in which it was planned and built.” Long-term plans are for ownership of the property to be transferred to Catholic Charities of Louisville, which plans to rehabilitate the property into low-income housing for senior citizens.
William Dodd House, 1448 St. James Court, Louisville – The William Dodd House is a 2½-story Arts and Crafts-style single family home built in 1911. It was originally listed in the National Register in 1972 as a contributing member of the St. James-Belgravia Historic District and is now proposed for individual listing. The house is a wood frame structure covered in taupe-colored stucco, with a hipped roof of red terracotta tile and a façade ornamented by a bracketed cornice, cartouches, art glass windows and built-in planter boxes. The home represents the work of architect William James Dodd (1862-1930), who designed this house as his personal residence. Its architectural value and meaning are being interpreted within the historic context, “The Architectural Designs of William James Dodd in Louisville, Kentucky, 1886-1913.”
West Liberty Christian Church, 304 Prestonsburg Road, West Liberty – Constructed in 1910 with a one-story brick addition in 1984, West Liberty Christian Church is dominated by prominent stained glass windows on the north and west sides, the most public faces of the building, while a bell tower pulls the eye upward. The church is proposed for listing under National Register Criterion A, buildings associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history. According to the nomination, the church is significant in the context of “Social Organization of West Liberty, Kentucky, 1823-1918.” The nomination notes, “Churches can be viewed as a very important plank in the stabilization of any unsettled area. The arrival of the current Christian Church in West Liberty gives a record of a community that had fully emerged from its settlement era into a term of greater social maturity.”
Coombs-Duncan-Brown Farmhouse, 2985 Chaplin-Taylorsville Rd, Bloomfield vicinity – According to the nomination, the Coombs-Duncan-Brown farmhouse is “an important example of frame and log vernacular architecture constructed in 19th-century Nelson County.” The farmhouse is a two-story Greek Revival frame building with a 1½-story log and frame ell, built and enlarged in four different construction campaigns: a log portion circa 1829, a Greek Revival I-House circa 1855, a one-room frame addition circa 1890 behind the log ell, and porches on the east and west sides of the log and frame ell that were framed and enclosed in the mid-20th century. It is being nominated under National Register Criterion C, embodying the distinctive qualities of a type, period and method of construction, and interpreted within the context of “Middle-Class Farmhouse Architecture in Nelson County, Kentucky, 1800-1900.”
Standard Oil Company Filling Station, 638 College Street, Bowling Green – This filling station is a one-story, one-room brick 1920s domestic-style building also known as a “house and canopy” type of filling station, designed to fit into the scale and style of a residential neighborhood. It has been rehabilitated to serve as public restrooms for the adjacent Circus Square Park, part of Bowling Green’s downtown redevelopment plan. It is situated two blocks away from historic Fountain Square Park and adjacent to the Shake Rag Historic District. The building is being nominated under Criterion A, significant within the historic context of “Automobile Tourism on U.S. 31W in Bowling Green, KY, 1921-1956.” According to the nomination, “U.S. 31W was part of the Dixie Highway, which brought tourists through Bowling Green on journeys that could stretch from Detroit to Miami. The highway helped fuel economic growth in the city and brought tourists to many of the natural wonders near Bowling Green, such as Mammoth Cave.”
Maple Grove, 3216 Perryville Road, Springfield – Maple Grove meets National Register Criterion C and is significant within the context of “Federal Style Domestic Architecture in Washington County, Kentucky.” The period of significance, 1800-1825, is the general range in which the house was built. According to the nomination, this structure is an “excellent example” of a Federal-style brick I-house and the structure’s period of significance aligns with the Federal style’s era of popularity. Maple Grove’s external and internal features include a symmetrical façade, brick veneer, embellished mantels and beveled and paneled window frames. The nomination goes on to say, “The Federal style is the product of Kentucky’s earliest settlers attempting to import high styles into this newly settled area from states on the mid-Atlantic seaboard. Early examples of the Federal style begin to appear in Washington County in the 1790s, and continued until the mid-1820s, when Greek Revival began to provide builders and homeowners with new stylistic choices.”
Kalarama Saddlebred Horse Farm, 101 Kalarama Drive, Springfield – According to the nomination, the 340-acre Kalarama Saddlebred Horse Farm “is an exceptional example of a horse farm from the early 20th century.” Today, the 400-acre property consists of a series of paddocks and pastures across rolling hills. The farm is being identified and interpreted for its function as a breeding and training operation for a specific type of horse, the American Saddlebred. The area proposed for listing contains 340 acres, 12 contributing features and eight non-contributing features. The farm is located on the site that once housed a 1790 brick mansion belonging to Kentucky’s first county court clerk, but its original owners had a new residence designed and built in 1904 in the Colonial Revival style at the entrance to the property. Today, the parcel holding the house has been split from the farm acreage and is not included in the nomination.
# # #
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Heritage Council / State Historic Preservation Office is responsible for the identification, protection and preservation of prehistoric resources and historic buildings, sites and cultural resources throughout the Commonwealth, in partnership with other state and federal agencies, local communities and interested citizens. This mission is integral to making communities more livable and has a far-ranging impact on issues as diverse as economic development, jobs creation, affordable housing, tourism, community revitalization, environmental conservation and quality of life. www.heritage.ky.gov